Sunday, May 25, 2008

Artist Date

For several weeks, I've been rather intrigued with a movie (documentary) we watched about the Isabella Gardner Museum in Boston. That was the home of one of the largest art heists in history. To date, it hasn't been solved, and the art is still missing (open to a $5 million reward). I'm totally in the mood to write a fictionalized novel that would solve the crime. :)

Over the past few years, Tim has mentioned the Maryhill Museum a couple of times. Since I've been on such an art jag for the past couple of months, he asked if I wanted to take a day trip to go and see it. I hesitated because I have so much homework, but I figured that it would inspire me and/or I could use the experience for a blog entry.

On the way down, Tim and I talked a lot about the art (or lack thereof) in Puyallup, and what I would like to do about it. I really would like to get a co-op gallery started. After graduation, I want to get more involved with Valley Arts United. To me, it seems that they don't have a whole lot of activities/functions for the majority of people in the community. I think that it could be due to a lack of organization or new blood. They have their standard activities, but nothing for newer artists in the community (that I've seen anyway). Anyway, it was an interesting discussion, and I was very inspired to want to go forward and see what I can do to help out or to start something new.

All in all, it was a really long drive and a very long day, but it was great to get to see the art, the museum, and just have a nice day out of the house and out of the typical stuff we usually do. The painting Solitude, was my favorite, but I also really liked seeing the Rodin sculptures, the royal artifacts and Robert Douglas Hunter's realism.

I have just been looking at Allposters.com (to see Solitude) and found some gorgeous work by Kandinsky and Glimt. I'm going to have to start reading more and discovering more about art.






No comments: