Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Chalk it up

Last week, there was an email that went out to the Tacoma Arts list serv. RR Anderson (a local artist and rebel) started a new event... a sidewalk chalk art challenge. I really wanted to go down and be one of the cool kids to hang out and participate, but I don't know how to draw and I had to leave early for a doctor's appointment so I couldn't take off at lunch. BUT... this week was a different story. I still don't know how to draw, but I thought that I could scoot down there and hang out to see what was going on.

I jumped on the link and rode down to 9th. When I walked up to the group, there were really only two women working on one square of sidewalk. I felt all self-conscious and weird, but I finally decided to grab a piece of chalk and start drawing. I didn't know what to draw, so I opted for doodles. It was a lot of fun.

I didn't win, but I did have a good time. Here's a link to my drawing...

My doodle pic

This really got me out of my comfort zone and it caused me to do something that I'd never done before. I stepped out into the "artist zone" and tried something new.

No comments: